First Day Essentials

In this section you will find practical information to assist you in your initial days of working for the University.


Before you start your new job within the school it is important that you have completed all necessary right to work checks and on boarding tasks in the HR people and money system. This will ensure that you have appropriate access to key systems ahead of your start date.

**Unfortunately we are unable to issue contracts to new members of staff who are sponsored by the university until they arrive in the UK and have their right to work verified**.

Ahead of your first day we ask that the following HR checks and on boarding tasks in the people and money system are completed:

  • HR verified your right to work checks before the first day of your contract (HR will correspond and advise with individuals directly regarding these checks).
  • Your contract acceptance, bank details for payment and National insurance (if possible) have been entered into the system as part of your on boarding tasks and these tasks are marked as completed in the system.
  • All other outstanding on boarding tasks in people and money or as indicated by HR/line Manager is completed.
  • Complete and Return the eExpenses form to our school finance team at
  • Create an staff email account and web profile

Getting around

The University has over 500 building across five main campuses which extends across Edinburgh city centre. To help you navigate your way around link/url icon University maps is a useful tool to help identify where various buildings are located. The link/url icon Transport & Parking pages can also provide you with information on travel options to campuses.

Getting paid

Salaries in general are paid on the 28th of each month, unless it falls on a weekend in which case it is the Friday preceding the 28th. Information on pay procedures, pay dates, payslips, tax can all be found on the finance section of the university link/url icon Payroll website.

If you have any queries about your pay, payslips, tax you should contact the payroll section directly.

Employee self-service

Employee Self-Service (ESS) allows you direct access to some of your data held in the Human Resources and Payroll system.

Employee Self-service enables staff to:

  • View and download online payslips
  • View P60

You will need your UUN and password to access ESS, instruction on how to use the ESS system can be found here: link/url icon Employee self-service.


The University’s link/url icon Pensions page manages various pension schemes. Employees will receive pension information in their contract pack with information about the relevant pension schemes.

Employees who wish to discuss pension options or anything in relation to their current pension should contact the pension’s team by emailing

Setting up a bank account

In order to facilitate the payment of wages you will be required to set up a UK bank account. The following bank branches where accounts can be opened can be found located in Edinburgh City Centre:

  • Bank of Scotland
  • Barclays Bank
  • Clydesdale Bank
  • Halifax Bank
  • HSBC
  • National Building Society
  • Nat West Bank
  • Royal Bank of Scotland

For perspective staff members who are not currently in the UK. Some bank accounts can be set up in advance of arriving in the UK, but branches and accounts are limited.

PPLS HR can provide new employees with a verified employment letter for any bank which requires it on request.

Setting up a National Insurance number

All staff employed in the UK, whether UK, European or international citizens need a national insurance number (NI Number). The NI number ensures that the NI contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded against your name.

If you are a sponsored member of staff coming to the UK, you may already have a NI number printed on the back of your BRP. You do no need to reapply for this if you already have an NI Number or it is on the back of your BRP.

Further information on how to apply for a NI Number can be found at the following government website: link/url icon Apply for a National Insurance number.

Once you have obtained your NI number, please contact PPLS HR to have your record updated.