Starting a new job can be a stressful experience and new employees need help to settle in. The induction programme aims to provide new employees with all of the necessary information, including local welcome events and activities. The induction you will receive in the school/department should enable you to:
• Meet key colleagues in your team/department/School;
• Find your way around the workplace;
• Understand your role, key responsibilities, what is expected of you and how you fit into the wider department/school;
• Know how you will be managed and supported to carry out your duties
• Understand your terms and conditions of employment;
• Understand the structure of your team/department/school/wider university;
• Access university local policies and procedures; and
• Identify any training and development needs that have to be met to enable you to undertake your role effectively.
Your local Induction
At the beginning of your induction, on your first day you will be provided with an employee induction checklist, in which you can work through with your line manager and or buddy. The induction checklist aims to ensure that key aspects of your induction are covered, so that you are well on your way to understanding how the University of Edinburgh operates and your role within it.
The employee induction checklist should be completed within the timescale indicated on the form and returned to the school operations team for retention on your personal file.
Your Online Induction
We have a number of quick and easy compulsory online induction training and assessment modules for you to complete within your first month. These essential online learning packages cover various topics. To access these resources you will require your EASE login details.
• Anti- Bribery and Corruption
• Be Sustainable
• Challenging unconscious bias
• Data Protection
• Equality and Diversity
• Fire Safety Awareness
• Information Security Essentials
An A to Z list of our staff training courses, resources and e-learning material can also be found on the main human resource webpage under learning and development, this includes access to the universities online development tool kit for staff. In addition, a full list of available staff training courses and workshops can be found on the home page of MyEd under the “Events” tab. Places are limited and must be booked in advance.
Welcome to the University of Edinburgh
The welcome to the University induction Event offers new starts the chance to network with other new colleague’s whist finding out more about the university and its various departments and functions in a more informal setting. Places note that this event is temporarily suspended due to covid.
Get connected (for new research staff and academics)
The get connected day is an informal induction event for new research staff and academics, in all schools/colleges, who have recently joined the University.
Places on this can be booked by staff via the (EASE login required) via the online booking form.