Life in the UK

On this page you’ll find a guide to living and working in the UK.

Recruitment and Right to work

The University has a responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if an applicant receives an offer of employment, this will be subject to the University verifying that they are eligible to work in the UK before they start work.

Once you hold a job offer from the University, you may need to apply for a visa to work in the UK. If you are applying for a highly skilled role or are a sponsored researcher the University may be able to sponsor you through a tier 2 (skilled worker) visa route, or help you in applying for a tier 1 (exceptional talent) visa.

An overview of the different visa routes and the visa processes can be found on the University’s link/url icon Staff Visa homepage.

Relocation support

Edinburgh is one of the most diverse Universities in the UK, with staff and students from over 160 Countries. Our Relocation Support website has been created to assist you, and your family, with settling into life in Edinburgh.

Relocation support can be provided to both domestic and international appointees in line with the University relocation policy. The University is also able to provide support to partners of new appointees wishing to transition their career to Edinburgh.

link/url icon Relocation Support 
link/url icon Relocation Policy
link/url icon Partner Career Transition Policy

Staff immigration advisor

The University currently has a dedicated International Staff Advisor, who is able to assist you with each stage of your visa process, both before and after arriving in the UK, including:

  • Initial advice with relation to suitable visa routes
  • Free and impartial specialist advice on UK immigration matters for prospective and current staff, visitors and their accompanying dependants
  • Advice on how to complete the applications required
  • Guidance on the UK immigration rules and regulations
  • Support in relation to understanding of university policy with relation to visa fees and reimbursement
  • Further advice and guidance

link/url icon Contact the Staff Immigration Advisor

Immigration fee assistance

There are two types of support currently in place, the Interest Free Loan and Visa Fee Reimbursement.

The University offers assistance for fees you incur in relation to your Tier 1, Tier 2 or UK Residency applications and associated UK legal fees. In respect of Tier 1 and Tier 2, this includes payments for immigration healthcare surcharge fees (NHS) and National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) fees.

link/url icon Immigration Fee Assistance

The City of Edinburgh

Edinburgh is one of Europe’s most exciting cities and regular ranks in the ‘best places to live’ polls. However, trying to decide where to live and thinking about moving to a new place can seem overwhelming at times. The University’s link/url icon City of Edinburgh page aims to answer your questions and give you some useful tips on settling into Scotland’s capital city.